Monday, March 21, 2016

Triathlon SeasonBegins 3/28

Are you ready for triathlon season?  I think I am.  So for my first day of tri season I swam...no. Biked, everyone bikes during tri season...hell no.  Ran, yes, I ran and also lifted weights.  3 miles really easy at a 10 min pace and then did a CrossFit workout.

What?  "I thought you said you were in tri season?".

I am in tri season.  I will get to it.

The big strength workout on my first day of tri season was CrossFit Games 16.4 WOD (Workout of the DAY).  It was an AMRAP (as many reps as possible) for 13 minutes of
55 Deadlifts #225
55 Wall Balls #20 @ 10'
55 Calorie Row
55 Hand Stand Push Ups
I was able to do 165 reps or 3 of the 4 exercises.  It was actually a good score and I was very proud of it considering my weekend adventure.

So how does that even equate to a swim, bike, and run? 

For the past 4 years I have been participating in the CF Games workouts and one of the last workouts always falls when I have my 50 mile trail run at Grasslands.  So my issue is this, do the workout as prescribed RX or scale the workout so it's not as hard and possibly do the actual workout on Monday.  On Monday...after I have run a bijillion miles!  These are my issues.

So last Thursday I did the 16.4 scaled workout which was
55 Deadlifts #135
55 Wall Ball 20# @ 9'
55 Calorie Row
55 Hand Release Push Ups
232 reps or all the exercises plus 12 more deadlifts.

I did the scaled because

A) I lifted the 225# and knew my back would be out of commission for a couple of days.

B) I had a 50 mile run on Saturday.

I figured that if I could walk after the Grasslands 50 mile run and was not too sore then I would do the RX 16.4 on Monday. So, not too shabby for two days after a fitty.

Now on to tri season. Last year my tri season was more like my running season with some biking every Saturday and some swimming in my backyard.  If I can simulate biking, swimming, and running in a gym setting then why not try it to see if it works. Last year I biked for a total of 500 miles and swam for a total of 15K and that includes my 140.6 mile race.  That's it.  Sure, I had the endurance foundation, strength, mental and previous experience but 500 miles and 15K?  Come on!

I am hoping that I will get more biking and swimming in since I joined a triathlon club here in Frisco (They are a crazy and fun bunch!) and 24 Hour Fitness (so I can swim whenever I want). We will see how the bike and swim go.

Now on to my massage.  Cheers to a great Summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment